Delon Hampton & Associates, Chartered a minority-owned, professional consulting engineering services firm headquartered in Washington, DC, currently has an excellent opportunity for a talented and energetic, Software Engineer.
Description: The software engineer is responsible for resolving the most complex application system problems within engineering. The incumbent will plan, lead, coordinate, and participate in the design, development, quality assurance, installation, testing, and maintenance of assigned software and hardware systems to achieve project objectives and minimize the real-time operational impact of changes on current and developing computer application systems. The incumbent ensures that established system functionality, reliability, performance, and availability are maintained throughout the system development cycle, from initial inception through implementation and routing monitoring.
- Support ELES in upgrading the in-house remote monitoring systems;
- Provide technical leadership and/or specialized technical assistance in problem-solving and application systems development. Interfaces with other offices to ensure commitment to support or use the Authority's integrated systems;
- Initiate and conduct studies measuring current and proposed systems efficiency and effectiveness within assigned areas of responsibility;
- Develop, implement, maintain, and enforce documented standards and procedures for the design, development, installation, modification, and documentation of assigned systems, facilities, and products;
- Prepare concise reports suitable for all levels of management regarding projects and technical issues within assigned areas of responsibility;
- Perform assignments using a full complement of software engineering skills such as: requirements specification, system design, software development, quality assurance, documentation, and testing;
- Work within an assigned application system or subsystem such as: Data Concentrator for elevator and escalator remote monitoring systems, communications, networks, microprocessors, track circuit monitoring tool, where applications use distributed processing and client/server technology in time-critical system architecture;
- Support ELES website applications. Requires knowledge of HTML Code;
- Function as project engineer for system configuration management plan, with assigned responsibility and be designated as the prime point of contact. In charge of project configuration version control when making changes to existing application software or designing new software;
- Make key software recommendations to management on strategy affecting choice of hardware platforms and choice of preferred programming languages for future development and implementation;
- Represent ELES at meetings and conferences with consultants, contractors, and other stakeholders of assigned systems. Reviews contractor hardware and software designs for conformance with client standards and interoperability between existing and/or other planned future client systems or equipment, provides direction, feedback, and approval/rejection of designs;
- Provide technical leadership and/or specialized technical assistance in problem solving and application systems development;
- Provide operational guidance, technical advice, or training to programmers, analysts, other engineering staff, or other Authority offices for operational computer systems or application software;
- Be responsible for a high level of operational performance and software reliability within major application systems in elevator and escalator operational support areas;
- Develop, review, and update as required the clients' standards and criteria and standard specifications in conformance within industry standards, best industry practices, and current or future practices;
- Develop and review other department technical specification and task orders for procurement of hardware, software, test equipment and services;
- Perform failure analysis and prepares reports including root cause and recommended corrective action for stakeholders and management. Evaluate and provides guidance on system changes to determine feasibility, alternative solutions, and back out procedures;
- Work closely with end users to understand their information requirements and to direct resolution of their problems;
- Maintain up-to-date service request logs and project work plans. Prepares status reports to compare progressive with work plans; and
- Advise supervisory staff concerning system modifications and applications systems deficiencies, end user requirements, and computer hardware, and recommends software support, work method and practice improvements.
- A bachelor's degree in computer science, mathematics, engineering, or the physical sciences. Advanced degree preferred;
- A minimum of at least six (6) years of progressively responsible experience in time-critical process-control computer systems design, development, and maintenance that relates to operational applications including responsibilities as senior technical staff and project manager;
- In lieu of a bachelor's degree, ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in time-critical process-control computer systems design, development, and maintenance that relates to operational applications including responsibilities as senior technical staff and project manager;
- CISSP or other advanced security-related certification.
When applying, please reference position title in email subject line. Send all resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org